echos in the soil

A timely look at inkpen's Places

Our Churches


Listed Buildings

House Names, Field Names and Road Names




St. Michaels and All Angels

Church. 13th century foundation, extensively restored and rebuilt 1896-7 by C.C. Rolfe in Early English style. Flint walls with Bath stone dressings, tile hung and lead roofed belfry and tiled main roof. Nave, Chancel, north aisle and south porch, steeply pitched roof with gable parapets and short square belfry over west end.

South elevation: two-light window to left, gabled south porch, five-light square headed window under label mould, two-light window under two-centred arched label mould.

East end has three simple lancets.

Interior: six bays, roof double purlins on trusses with arch braces to ties and queen struts above, simple arcade of three wide arches to north aisle. Carved timber rood screen with rood and figures of Mary and John, by Harry Hems of Exeter. In the chancel lies a weathered stone effigy of a crusader knight, under the belfry are two re-set C18 memorials, to the left in white and grey marble a casket surmounted by an urn to Mrs. Audrey Brickerden and Mrs. Catherine Fisher, 1727 and 1728 and to the right in brown, grey and white marble a pedimented casket on a base flanked by flaming urns to John Fisher of Bristol 1765.

Church leaflet  by Tony Goodhart 1994

St. Gabriels

Upper Green. Adjacent to the Crown and Garter PH. The church war demolished in the late 1980's.

Christchurch Chapel

Christchurch chapel of ease, Kintbury Crossways, Kintbury.

It was founded in 1867. It closed after 1950. Closed and demolished in 1950s, although churchyard remains in use.

Primitive Methodist - Lower Green

It was founded in 1860. It closed after 1915. Closed, seems demolished. More information about this church may be available from Church History. The Primitive Methodist church was an early 19th century (1807) secession from the Wesleyan Methodist church and was particularly successful in evangelising agricultural and industrial communities at open meetings. In 1932 the Primitive Methodists joined with the Wesleyan Methodists and the United Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.

Wesleyan Methodist - Middle Green

It was founded before 1818. It closed after 1968. First building 1818, replaced 1833, now a private house.

Back to Contents List


The Domesday Book records that Hinge Pene consisted of two areas of land that had been granted by King Alfred to two 'thegns' or freemen, and that the population and assets consisted of 10 villagers and 15 small holders with 7 ploughs, 20 slaves and a mill, covering a total area of about 600 acres. Early records show that in 931 a certain Wulfgar had left his land at Inkpen to his wife Aeffe. At her death, the land was to pass to the 'holy place at Kintbury, for masses for the souls of Wulfgar, his father Wulfric and his grandfather Wulfrere, who had all owned the land.

By 1086, after the Norman Conquest, the manor had passed to William Fitz Ansculf. Before 1100, it had passed to the Paganel, or Paynel, family. Shortly thereafter, the manor was divided into two main parts, which later, in the sixteenth century, were to be known as Eastcourt and Westcourt. There is now no trace of the manor of Eastcourt, though it is believed to have covered the present Post Office Road and Common areas. The manor of Westcourt is still represented by the fine eighteenth century house at Lower Green near the church. A further estate, called Haslewick, was in the upper Green area, and included what is now the Kirby estate.

Listed Buildings

Eastcourt's history has been relatively uneventful. It was held in the twelfth century by one John Mansell. By 1250, however, it had passed to the Abbey of Titchfield, which owned it till 1537, when, at the dissolution of the monasteries, it passed to Henry VIII. It then had, over the next 200 years, an amazingly large number of different owners, until in 1731 it was bought by the third Baron Craven, who added it to his Hamstead Marshall estate.

WestCourt was owned, around 1176, by Humphrey de Ingepenn, whose family retained it until 1395. Among the more interesting members of this family are the two called Sir Roger de Ingepenn.

Totterdown House is on the western end of the village, and is the site of the tallest early beaker yet found in the British Isles, and a bowl of unique design standing on four feet, both dating from around 2,000 B.C.

Hazlewick Manor

Kirby House

Titcombe Manor

Puddle Wharf Cottage - Late 16 century, with 18 century alterations and 20 century additions. The fireplace beam has 1753 scratched on it. This is reputedly one of the blanket weaver's cottages after which Weaver's Lane is named.

The First Edition Ordnance Survey mapping marks 'Puddle Wharf Cottage', although this name is written close to a building centred at SU 3619 6452 which was demolished in the mid to late 20th century. This house was in an adjacent plot to the extant 'Puddle Wharf', and a small stream ran along their southern boundaries, down from Daggs Gully. It is suggested that a mill existed on the opposite side of the road known as Weavers Lane, although it is not clear what industrial activity the water power was used for. Both the listed 'Puddle Wharf' and the adjacent cottage that burnt down were depicted in a 1889 watercolour by Lucy Butler, the vicar's daughter.

Back to Contents List

The Inkpen Landscape, that defines our forebears.

Land Ownership - see Maps

Land Geology

Summary by David Russell

Field Names
Balsam Ground Witchen Mdw
Ban Croft Mdw La Borcrofte
Barley Orchard Bortrugg '
Barn Piece Boynacr '
Black Butts Brocforlong '
Bottom Mdw La Brodewater
The Breach Buttes Le Bottes
The Bridges Byschopewey
Broad Close Chercheschetforlang '
Bumps Hill Cherleford
Chickens Croft Clotehalve
Church Land Clywynesacre
Church Maple Cockesbrech '
Common Fd Cockespathe Cokcespathe
The Cowslins Colacres
Crab Tree Mdw Combeforlong '
Cross Ways Coppesacre
Crow Mdw Cornaises Crofte
The Down Pasture Diendelonde
Folly ( on ) Dyrnan geat Le Dernette
Furzy Close Felagheshalue
Gallant Westley and Gallant Crot Garresmith
Grange Geffronnescroft
Gravelly Furlong Gomleacr '
Green Mdw Gore Acr '
The Hams Haleshull '
Handkerchief Piece Hamstall '
Hay Croft Hardiestihele
High Griffs Mead Helrenestub
Hill Croft Hethclose
Home Ground and Home Mdw Hinctescroft
Homestead Mdw Hocclia
Hop Ground Hoke
Horse Plat Holeforlong
House Mdw Horsfoldesdene
How Park Mdw Hurne
Inwoods Ground Le Huttescroft
Jemimas Lot Hyenleye
Kingston Mdw La Hyewode
Knights Mdw Le Lanefurlonge
Long Leighs Langeborh '
Lot Louseacr '
Madams Mead Mers Acre
Marsh Garden Oxedoune
Mill Pond Mdw Rammesmede
Moor Lees Randilonesbreche
Mouse Tippett Rededene
Nut Tree Plat Ridelwode
Park Mdw Rodeforlang '
Parsonage Hill Roeburye
Phillimores Plat Mead Roulynche
Picked Mdw Sawalla Balle
Piddle Mdw Shephouseclose
Pigeon House Mdw Smalhegge
Pit Lot Smokacre
Pond Close Mdw Spraye Green
Pond Ground Stonacr '
Pot Kiln Mdw Sukemundescroft
Pound Ground Tigheldfelde Tidelfat Thidelphat
Puddle Wharf Mead Vernylond
Round Mdw and Round Hill Wegheʒur
Rush Patch White Acre
Sign Board Piece La Whiteschute
Stockbridges Mdw Wildeswyn Acre
Stone Hedge Wohgelande
Thistle Hill Wolfricheshamstal
Walk Mdw Wopland
Webbs Little Close Wyfʒurde
Well Ground La Wyndmulle Wyndemullehegg Wyndemillefeld
Winchleys Schortwyndemulleacr '

Land Biology

List of Wildlife sites in Inkpen

SSSI - Sites of special scientific interest in Inkpen

Inkpen and Walbury Hills 1                        
Inkpen Crocus Field 1
Combe Wood 1
Inkpen Common 1
Irish Hill Copse 1
Lardon Chase 1
West Woodhay Down 1
Hogs Hole 1
Kennet and Lambourn Floodplain 1
Kennet Valley Alderwoods 1
Reading and District Natural History Society - field trip report of 7th March 2009, led by Jan Haseler, details are here.

Back to Contents List

Some of Inkpen's Pubs, here and lost.

The Crown and Garter - first opened in 1640

The Olive Branch

The Swan




The Craven Arms - pictured 1984

List of Craven Arms publicans from 1847 to 1931

Kings Head Inn - see news-clips

Back to Contents List